Friday, April 24, 2009

Tomorrow


My spanish teacher is from Venezuala. She always likes to talk about family and things going on in life in order to introduce new vocabulary and phrases and such.

A friend of her family past away recently and she was asking about funerals procedures and what people wear and so forth. In Venezuala if someone dies one day they are buried the next day and a Mass is performed seven days later for that person. As we compared rituals and timing she said something that made me stop and think.

"Americans work and plan for the future. They save and prepare for what they don't know. In Venezuala it's not like that. I live for today. I don't think about growing old, I only think for today."

Well, while I'm not sure throwing it all to the wind and living only for today is such a good idea for me and my family, I do think there is some merit in that school of thought. I do think that we as a society have become....ok, me as a person has become somewhat consumed in saving and/or planning for tomorrow. While that's not totally bad we do tend to miss some of the blessings or opportunities of today when we only focus on tomorrow.

I'm sure we all know this, but sometimes I wonder.






Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.

What is your life?

You are a mist that appears for a little while

and then vanishes.

No comments: