Saturday, April 28, 2007

Shouldn't we try to win the war we're in? I'm pretty sure we're there for some very good reasons. Why would we get started in this if we didn't think we could win? The answers are yes we should finish, and win, this war we're in, yes we are there for some very good reasons and no one would go into a war that they didn't think they could win.

If we listen to the mainstream media you will hear lots of stuff about why we went to war with Iraq and who is winning and why we should quit and come home. Most of the negative comments and rhetoric (not all, but most) is from the Liberals who are afraid we'll hurt someones feelings if we win.

The thing each person should do is look at the news from all sides. Right, left, Fox, CNN and any other views you can find and decide for yourself what YOU think. That's what I have done. I'm not beyond changing my mind about one thing or another but it will be because I decided to, based upon what I think.

As for me I believe we're doing a good thing in Iraq and Afghanistan. We are taking the war to the terrorist instead of waiting for them to bring it to us. We have saved thousands of lives by taking down the Taliban and Al Qaeda. Yes, there are more rouge nations out there that need our attention like Iran, Syria and North Korea and of course we should try diplomacy first. Perhaps we should be in Sudan or some other Third world country where people are being slaughter by their leaders.

I wonder if our military can handle anymore right now. They're spread pretty thin. That could be fixed by the draft. I know no one wants that but a program such as that in Israel could be very helpful.

2 comments:

CzechFest said...

mark: whats your definition of win? Is it when democracy comes to Iraq? Violence goes down? New elected leader in favor of the USA? Lower oil prices? I agree with you about the reasons of why we went, I am just not so sure I know what success looks like there

texelct said...

All good questions which I've been asking myself and trying to answer. I guess my definition of "win" is when we can leave Iraq with a government that doesn't slaughter their people for wrong religions or beliefs. Of course we want an ally in Iraq but history tells us that allies in the middle east are temporary at best for the most part. I don't think any US companies have interests in the oil fields in Iraq but a stable supply would certainly have a positive effect on the economy and oil prices worldwide.
With all that said I guess I'm just afraid we're going to get tired to soon and give up. Which is what the rehtoric from the east coast sounds like. We need to get out of Iraq but we need to leave it with a stable government.